It is the only marine railway in North America still in use. The reason for its existence rather than a regular lock is to prevent a pathway for unwanted aquatic species from the great lakes into the inland water bodies of Ontario. Your boat is moved along a railway track, lifted out of the water, carried over the waterfall and then placed back in the water.
Coming out of the water
Going over the hump...think roller coaster
Going back in the water on the other side
Later that day we went to an anchorage in Gloucester Pool where we saw a turtle, mink, beaver and Mark has declared there are fish in this lake! He caught 2 northern pike and 1 walleye.
Anchored in Gloucester Pool
Friday morning we entered our last lock on the Trent Severn and headed out into Georgian Bay. We are currently in Midland, Ontario and will be heading up through the 30,000 Island Region toward the North channel.
How cool....Hey , I know you were going to look into a long term care policy for yourself but there's a new product out there that my financial advisor is bringing out to me on Thursday. It's an insurance policy with a long term insurance rider on it so if you need the long term you can use it for that otherwise it's a whole life insurance policy. Supposedly it's much cheaper than a long term care policy. I have 24 years vested so when I hit 25, I'm definitely retiring. One more year , whoo hoo!!!
ReplyDeleteWow! That's crazy! I never knew there was a marine railway. And that one pic definitely does look like you're on a roller coaster!
ReplyDeleteWe ran into the Martins, Fays and Saramacs @ Woodlawn today and it reminded me to check your blog. It was nice catching up with your travels for the last week. I had missed quite a bit. - you guys have been really busy. Glad that Mark finally caught some fish. Did he grill it for dinner?
Great pics as always! :)
ReplyDelete