Pages

Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Reflections on the Rivers

Now that we have completed the river section it is always good to look back and reflect on the experience. First lets address the elephant in the room, the Mississippi. It just was not our favorite, high water, debris, challenging...just a few things to describe what it was like. I equate it to childbirth...something you have to get through but then a few months later you reflect on it and say "gee we could do that again"! That is actually the only negative I can come up with for the rivers.

I loved the tows and barges. I found them so interesting and looked forward to seeing what they were carrying and where the tow boats were from. Listening to them on the radio, "roger, roger", "c'mon with it", "have some patience", "I'll see you on the one/two". My absolute favorite was when Irish Lady Too was leading the way and Kurt asked which side to pass, the tow operator said he would see him on the two. We are watching and Kurt is not moving to the two and the tow operator gets on the radio and said "I will see you on the two", Kurt's reply "I am trying to dodge the junk in the river to get over to the two" and with that the tow operator says, "If you don't get over to the two you will be the junk in the river"! We laughed as we saw Kurt scurry over to the two.

Understanding how the rivers connect and the geography was very educational. Sure I learned about it when I was in school but living it and learning about it is just so different. Taking two months (laid-back looper) to go from Chicago to the Gulf of Mexico, some 1,425 miles and 28 locks, by rivers and lakes was just so neat because we were able to see things that we wouldn't by land.

The wildlife was great and it was spectacular to have eagles soar beside you as you traveled to the next anchorage or marina. We met a lot of people along the way and it's been fun to get together for dinner/docktails/boattails...you get the picture! It was both exciting and challenging and we loved every minute of it!

We had exceptional weather which always makes things better and allows for beautiful sunrises and sunsets. How can you complain when the skies are blue, the temperature warm, your experiencing something new and everyday is Saturday and the next is Sunday because you are retired?

1 comment: