Pages

Sunday, August 6, 2017

When dreams become reality

Our last leg of the journey home had us going from Spencerport to Tonawanda on Tuesday, 67 miles, 14 lift bridges and the final 2 locks of the Erie Canal in Lockport. Definitely a long day and we were able to keep the t-storms to our north so that was a huge bonus. With no energy left to raise the radar we decided to call it a day and tackle that on Wednesday morning. You can't be over 15.5' in the western section of the canal and without taking the radar down we are 16.5'.

Wednesday ended up being our "recoup" day from pushing the travel through the canal as we stayed in Tonawanda overnight. Timing was perfect, Wednesday night was concert night and they had 2 bands at Gateway Park. The Impact, which played a variety of well known classic hits and Strictly Hip, which is a cover band for The Tragically Hip. The bands brought out a good crowd and the boats were rafted up to 4 deep.

Thursday brought us home, 19 miles from Tonawanda to Buffalo and the completion of the loop. WOW! WE DID IT!

I'm not really sure when the dream of doing the loop first entered our minds. What I do know is that we both had the same dream for years...whenever anyone would ask "what do you think you'll do in retirement", we would always answer "the great loop". Today as I write this post I can't believe the dream really has became the reality.
We completed the loop Thursday, August 3rd when we entered the Buffalo Harbor and docked our boat at Safe Harbor Marina, Buffalo, NY. How's it feel? Exciting, awesome, overwhelming, and a little sad to know it's over. We feel very blessed that we were afforded the opportunity and through the people we met we have been inspired, humbled, and grateful for the friendships we've made along the way.
The AGLCA (American Great Loop Cruisers Association) recently published how many people complete the loop in any given year... a record 127 boats reported completing the Great Loop in 2016, 2015 - 76, 2014 - 86, 2013 - 71, 2012 - 87, 2011 - 97 and 2010 - 92. To put those numbers in perspective, more people summit Mt. Everest in a given year than complete the loop. In 2016, 641 climbers made the summit. I don't know how many will complete the loop this year but I know the people we met while traveling were awesome!

The big question is "would you do it again?"...never say never. We know we would like to take the boat back to Florida and do the Bahamas but with our proximity to the east coast it would be faster and easier to head east. The question I like to answer is "do you recommend doing the loop?" That is an emphatic YES! It was a fantastic experience, we saw so much and learned even more. What was our favorite place? We have both tried to answer that question without much luck. There are too many favorites, all for different reasons; scenery, city, small town, marina, people... What would we do differently? We would have added solar panels and a muffler to our generator.

We would be amiss if we didn't thank those that made everything possible. The support from our family and friends has been tremendous and a special thanks to my sister Maureen, who was our mail delivery service and took the time to stop in at our "dirt" home over and over again to check on things. Also, our son Daniel who also helped out where needed and countless friends that pitched in to have us over when we were home, or did drive-bys at the house, helped when the power went out, I could go on and on.

Also, a big thank you to all of you who took the time to read the blog and encouraged me to keep writing it. We had the time of our lives!
                                       
                                                                    Loop Stats
Days looping                                                         447
Travel days                                                           201
Miles traveled                                                    7,992
Number of different locations visited                   145
Locks                                                                    141
Bridges (lifted, swung or moved)                        110
Nights in marinas                                                 278
Nights at anchor                                                     96
Nights at free wall or dock                                     62
Nights on mooring balls                                         11

  • Average cruising speed (total miles traveled/total hours on engines, so it includes waiting for locks, bridges, etc.) = 8.58 mph
  • Fuel prices (including Canada converted to U.S. dollars)
    • Highest fuel price paid - $3.67  Buffalo, NY (summer of 2015)
    • Lowest fuel price paid - $2.07   Chesapeake, VA (summer of 2017)
    • Average fuel price - $2.83
Props dinged                                 0
Groundings                                   0
Haul outs                                       0
Mechanical Issues                         0
Captains or 1st Mates replaced     0
Memories Made                            too many to count

The wall in Spencerport
 
The wall in Brockport
 
One of the many lift bridges, this one in Holley
 
Many towns have murals along the way
 
Entrance to the 2 locks in Lockport
 
Notice the smile, last 2 locks on the Erie Canal
which took us up 50'
 
Kayakers in Tonawanda
 
Captain's Choice with a prime location in Tonawanda
 
Boater's rafting for the concert Wednesday night
 
Shuffle off to Buffalo
 
Cruising under the Peace Bridge, current averages 7 to 12 mph
Sailboats and slow trawlers have to use the Black Rock Canal
 
Approaching the Buffalo skyline
 
Buffalo Lighthouse at the mouth of the Buffalo River
 
Buffalo Naval & Military Park
 
Canalside - the 2  sail boats in the middle are
loopers from South Carolina
 
Buffalo RiverWorks - massive waterfront complex
for skating, hockey, curling & concerts with dining
and concessions 
 
Captain's Choice docked in Buffalo, NY
 
Buffalo has some of the best food!
Chicken wings and roast beef on a kummelweck roll
 
and pizza!
 
 

6 comments:

  1. Thanks Bev, looking forward to getting together with everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats- thanks for sharing through the blog- I've enjoyed following you, since are paths didn't cross again after Marathon!!
    Colleen on Moon Shadow

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! Congrats to you as well. We always thought we'd meet up again and who knows...maybe next time around 😉
    Enjoyed our time, keep up your art work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!! Calling from Spain..... now that we have so much spare time during the quarantine I did something that I promised to myself I was going to do.... read the complete story of you two doing The Great Loop aboard Captain's Choice, my favorite boat ( I used to own a Searay Sundancer when I was in Dubai up until May 2018 but you don't need to guess too much which boat will come next).

    I have a few question that I hope you can comment on since one day I will also write my story but for now this is all about you guys. Questions will come in the next post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. Can you again name the low clearance bridge's locations? If I remember well there were some on the Lake Erie's canal but anywhere else?
    2. You mentioned Mark used to do some maintenance work (I guess oil and filter change, etc) Did you have any major mechanical/electrical/hydraulic failure that made you bring in a mechanic?
    3. Did sleeping in choppy water affect you? My fear is that my wife may not like it and we will have to end up sleeping in a hotel room which I'd hate
    4. I have a dilemma on the Diesel engines... though I'm in favor because of the advantages on consumption, cost and torque, people keep telling me that smell is horrendous... I've had the chance in my career in the energy sector to drive heavy trucks in my early days as Trainee and even I had the opportunity to drive a Searay L650 out of the Searay Palm City plant but never bothered me.... how is it in reality?
    5. Did you make use of the auto-pilot during the Gulf crossing as you left Mobile, Alabama towards Florida, your 23 hr journey?
    6. Is it my impression or I may be wrong but you guys loved eating out in restaurants and only cooking and eating in the boat while you were at anchor?. You never posted a picture of you two seating at the dinette enjoying a meal.
    7. In average how much should I expect paying for a marina berth per night? Average again...
    8. Looking at Google Earth and if I start off in Aventura FL (I own an apartment right by the ICW which I'm sure you could've seen it from the boat on your way up north) I can see that the canal is perfectly defined but at some point I can see that the route is full of twisted rivers, not a well defined path.... how did you manage to stay in the correct canal avoiding shallow waters?

    That's for now. All in all, I'm so happy for you guys to have been able to finish it in one piece. I loved your pics, your writing was superb (as well as your paintings). Thanks for your comments and I'm sure we will be in touch one day and maybe we can buy you guys some dinner!! Cheers

    ReplyDelete